Over the past five years hundreds of students have applied for our grant program. ExxonMobil has been honored to fund numerous students and their research. Even though the program has been a big success we have consistently requested feedback and thought about ways to improve it. Based on our evaluation, we have decided to evolve the program in 2014 and to team up with the Geological Society of America and form the ExxonMobil/GSA Student Geoscience Research Awards. There are several minor changes that will take effect in the 4th quarter of 2013,
1)GSA will steward the overall program
GSA’s dissemination of information:
· Information about the program is posted year-round at http://www.geosociety.org/grants/gradgrants.htm .
· The information regarding the new ExxonMobil grants ($7500 each for 10 grants) will be advertised on this website starting in November.
· Each year, the application is updated and is posted at the end of November.
· The upcoming deadline for application submission is Feb. 3, 2014.
· The Program is advertised via GSA Today, GSA Connection, GSA’s website and at the Annual Meeting.
· GSA offers a free grant writing workshop for this GSA Program (this year, to be held on Tuesday, Oct. 29;noon-1:00 pm at the Convention Center, Rm 201). GSA will announce the ExxonMobil grants for 2014 at this workshop.
2) The application process will follow GSA guidelines
· Anyone wanting to apply for the ExxonMobil grant must fill out the GSA online application (no forwarded apps from Exxon will be eligible)
· GSA can only accept applications from students studying in US/Canada/Mexico
· GSA and ExxonMobil will select the awardees
3) The awards ceremony will be held at the GSA annual convention and will be hosted by the GSA Foundation and ExxonMobil. The program will consist of a poster session and an Awards Ceremony where all recipients will be recognized. Additional activities with ExxonMobil employees and the grant recipients will take place at the convention and travel grants will be awarded.
ExxonMobil looks forward to reviewing your applications and seeing you in Vancouver, British Columbia in Oct 2014.
Sharon G. Turner
ExxonMobil Exploration Company
Global Geoscience Recruiting
CORP – GP3-238